Author Interview: Mark Sephton On 'Inside Job': Sharing Who You Are & What You're About


Mark's first book, with number two on the way...



How to Share Who You Are and What You Are About:

An Interview with Mark Sephton


Personal mentor to entrepreneurs, author and radio host, Mark Sephton, enjoys challenging people to become a better version of themselves. His first book, ‘Inside Job’, is built on your capability to work on the way you think, act and behave, to fully understand who you are and live out of your own identity. Taking time out from his busy schedule, and from writing his second book, to talk to Write Business Results, Mark says, “Having the ability to be able to express what you think and feel in words, either through the verbal word or through written word, is powerful.”
Georgia:
Mark, could you start by telling us a little about yourself?
Mark:
My name's Mark Sephton and I'm a personal mentor to entrepreneurs. I have a radio show called ‘Talk Business’, on Radio Plus Coventry and I am a regular contributor to Entrepreneur Magazine. I have a number of international clients who I mentor one-to-one, and I have a series of Masterminds.
I love the whole field of entrepreneurship and really enjoy just getting inside people's heads, challenging them, helping them become the best version of themselves. I think my natural ability is to be able to relate and listen to people and articulate what they feel and think, and then utilise it into a business.  This helps to connect people's heads with their hearts, because often there's a disconnect. They feel strength but they don't know how to manifest it. I help with some of that.
Georgia:
That sounds great and you sound like a very busy man. When people come to you do they tell you what their problem is? Presumably, people can feel that they have a particular need but you might identify it as something else.
Mark:
I built a ‘GPS’ system which is based on the key fundamentals of what I believe makes up a person's DNA. When I work with a new client, I take them through this ‘GPS’. It reveals blind spots, efficiencies and deficiencies. People often come to me with what they believe the problem is, but when I take them through the ‘GPS’, actually that isn't the root cause, that's just referred pain. Just as we might have a pain in our elbow, but actually the issue's in our wrist. I find that using this ‘GPS’ helps reveal the bigger picture.
Georgia:
It sounds like you help them get back on track.
Mark:
There are three main areas that people seem to have recurring issues with. The first is confidence, the second is focus, and the third is loneliness. As entrepreneurs, we probably all face these three fairly regularly and it's so important that we come from a place of confidence and confidence really starts with being prepared.
People say to me,
"Mark, how do I increase my confidence?"

If you're prepared, mentally and physically, and you have the knowledge, then that is the first step to having confidence. Focus goes back to defining who you are and what you're about. Loneliness is really about getting out there and asking for help.
Georgia:
Brilliant. Connecting with people is at the heart of what you do. You brought a book out last year: ‘Inside Job’.  Do you feel your ability to speak to people on a one-on-one level helped you during the writing process?
Mark:
We both love the power of language, and people can communicate on different levels. The words and stories that I share in ‘Inside Job’ are from a place of vulnerability and honesty. I think just having the ability to be able to express what you think and feel in words, either through the verbal word or through written word, is powerful.  I've seen the impact of who I am influence people.  I wanted to write a book to reach markets and reach people I would never necessarily have the opportunity to speak to.
Georgia:
If one of your clients, or prospective clients, has received your book as a gift and they have read your message in their own time, how do you think that's benefited your relationship with each of them?
Mark:
Undoubtedly,  98% of the people who are on my Mastermind have read my book. I think it's a great way for a business to be able to share who they are and what they're about. If you look at Apple, they are a four-stage business. The first is iTunes, which is free. Next is the iPod, which is a the least expensive. And then they've got the iPhone, the iPad,the Mac, Airbooks and things. For me, my book is the equivalent of an iPod. It gives people a little window into who I am, and the way I operate and think.
Georgia:
That's exciting. What’s next for Mark Shepton in 2016? What are you most excited about?
Mark:
Last year was a year of positioning, and this year is really a year of scaling and building on what I've already got in place. I am increasing my mentoring with people who are already at the top of their game, who have a lot of influence. My Masterminds are reaching a higher level of entrepreneurs. I've got a few events that I'm going to be doing in the States and I am writing my second book. I'm working on an entrepreneurial academy for children to take into schools as an after-school club, inspiring young children to set up a business.
Georgia:
What are the top three pieces of advice you would like to give entrepreneurs?
Mark:
My first suggestion is you've got to provide a solution to an existing problem. People say to me, how do I become a millionaire? I always tell them that you must find a problem that affects a million people. If you find a solution for a million people, then it's scalable and you're going to make a million pounds. Many of us set up a business that provides a solution for a few hundred, or maybe a few thousand and you can create a living, but you're not going to make millions.
I think the second suggestion would be to listen. I think the greatest gift is the skill to listen to people, and that applies across all relationships, not just business. The third piece of advice would always be to manage your energy and not your time. Say yes to the things that you're good at, yes to the things that you love, and yes to the things that are going to take you to where you want to go.
With those three filters over every opportunity people put in front of me, if they don't pass that due diligence test, then I let them go, I let that opportunity pass by. But if they harness what I'm good at, what excites me and what's going to take me to where I want to go, then I'm all in.
Georgia:


Mark:        



Georgia:
       
And where can people find your book and learn more about what you do?

‘Inside Job’ is available on Amazon and my website is marksephton.com


That’s brilliant. Thank you very much. It's a pleasure speaking with you.
Mark:
You're very welcome.


If you'd like help writing your own book, Write Business Results manage the writing, design, editing, illustrating, publishing and marketing, all under one roof. This makes becoming an author super easy!

Just email Georgia at info@writebusinessresults.com to find out more, and Georgia will reply directly within 48 hours.


To contact Mark and find out about his mentor services or radio show, simply visit his website http://marksephton.com/inside-job

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Actions That Get Results (and it's NOT writing a best-seller!)

3 Practical Tips For Anyone Who Wants To Write A Book

Accountability For Those Too Busy To Plan!